Tuesday 6 August 2013

My focus for the next six months

I have been giving quite a lot of thought to what my focus will be on now that I have been elected to Norfolk County council. Several people have asked "so what are you going to do now?" So, I wanted to compile a list of priorities so that I can keep on track and also so that those that I represent can shape that focus, so here goes - add any thoughts to the comments section or drop me an email (terry.jermy@googlemail.com)

1. Open and transparent; It was clear during the election campaign that most people were unaware of which Council is responsible for what service and what people got up to as their Councillor. To help with this;
  • I will be producing a monthly report of what meetings I attend and link the report to any speeches or comments that I make in meetings. This report will form the basis of my monthly Norfolk County Councillor report to Thetford Town Council and it will be shared on my blog, and possibly via the Town Council website (authorisation permitting)
  • I will also produce an annual hard copy newsletter that will be delivered to every house on the Thetford-West division 
2. Hard-working Councillor that addresses local issues; I always love campaigning and I love getting out on the doorstep talking to people. But, as ever, my heart sunk when walking around much of the Thetford-West division. The rubbish and fly-tipping strewn everywhere around the Abbey Estate, the over-grown shrub beds and filthy garage blocks on the Ladies Estate, unkempt blocks around St Johns Way and the scratchy pavements and messy gardens of Barnham Cross. For me, this is simply not acceptable. This is not the sort of community that I want to live in and I am know that many local residents feel the same, something has got to be done!

  • I will, make dealing with reporting of street-scene issues a priority and work on a bigger solution that encourages all residents to more actively report things in their area to keep things tidy. Where action is not undertaken by the relevant authority or organisation - they will be named and shamed - leaving this area left behind is no longer acceptable. Linked to this I want to initiate more regular community litter picks and work to generate a sense of pride once more amongst local residents
  • I will be organising regular surgeries on each of the 4 main housing areas that I represent. These will be for residents to come along and discuss specific issues that they have. Other Councillors will be invited to attend, should they so wish.
  • I will attend the monthly residents group meetings for my area, namely; Barnham Action Group, Redcastle Action Group, Abbey Tenants and Residents Association and Croxton Road Community Association.

3. Education; I said that education will be a priority, and it most definitely will be;

  • I will, seek to become a Governor at Thetford Academy at the earliest opportunity
  • I will visit schools in my area to better understand what the issues are and then lobby Norfolk County Council to provide that support (investment such as this is definitely a step in the right direction: ( http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/extra_16_5m_for_norfolk_s_children_s_services_department_1_2318146 )
  • I will continue to support alternative learning opportunities such as the Football Coaching and Gardening Club work that is led by the Thetford Community Association and seek to support other groups providing such activities - as part of this, I will push for greater funding to be made available to community and youth projects so that local groups, who are often best placed to provide these services, can be more sustainable
  • I will continue to support the Thetford Free School
4. Charles Burrell High School; This will undoubtedly be one my initial main focuses. Thetford Town Council have established a specific task and finish group to take this forward - I am a member of this group, as is fellow Thetford & Norfolk County Councillor - Denis Crawford, whom I hope to work with to ensure that CBHS remains available to the community. I have already requested from NCC data about running costs and there will be a meeting this coming Friday.

5. The immigration debate; It was alarming to listen to so many concerns about migrant workers during the recent election campaign. This cannot be ignored.
  • I will, seek to establish facts regarding the extent to which migrant workers are affecting local services to better highlight that the issue is predominantly service provision itself, rather than simply blaming migrant workers for issues such as housing
  • I will, seek to address concerns related to migrant workers, including street drinking, public urination and gathering in large numbers.
  • I will, work towards better community cohesion between the migrant worker community and local residents
6. Housing; This remains a significant concern and demand is increasing, not reducing, for more social and affordable housing.
  • I will continue to press Breckland Council to address this problem, including the possibility of them building their own housing stock using the Councils capital reserves
7. Thetford Bus Station;
  • I will push for the new 'bus interchange' (bus station to you and I!) to include the facilities that we all expect from a £3.5million pound project, including an inside waiting area and ticket facilities. Making use of the former Cosy Carpets building has got to be achieved. I will continue to highlight the very many safety aspects and flaws with the project, such as the lack of parking facilities.
I may well add some other matters, but for now, can you think of anymore? or wish to comment on the ones above?

2 comments:

Mark Adams said...

Congratulations Terry. Party politics aside, I wish you well in your new role. In particular regarding Thetford Academy (Governorship and Transport policy), creating some sort of CBHS Trust and listening to public opinion re: bus station and town centre redevelopments. I will follow your progress with interest.

suesecker said...

hi,terry i have a comment,why are the street lights being turned on in the morning,when the clocks change,when it is dark at the beginning of september,surely they can change the timings that are set